MEMBRANE SWITCH APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Things to Avoid when Laminating a Membrane to a Panel
- Excessive flexing and bending of the membrane may cause internal damage. (Premature failure or collapsed domes and broken or fractured joints of LED’s)
- Pressing on the keys when the membrane switch is not on a flat surface can cause collapsed domes or later premature failure. Pressing of the keys while holding in your hands will cause dome to over travel diminishing normal life of the key.
- Removal and Re-laminating of the membrane switch (Removing the membrane switch from the panel will destroy the integrity of the membrane causing De-lamination of layers, domes, fractured LEDs, and void warranty.
- Laminating the membrane switch to an uneven surface may cause a permanently closed circuit.
- Laminating too quickly even with a moderate bend can cause a risk of entrapping air under the membrane switch resulting in a permanently closed circuit
Recommended Procedure for Laminating a Membrane to a Panel
- Panel surface and surrounding work area must be clean. Dust, dirt, and other contamination of the panel surface must be clean prior to installation of the membrane (dust and dirt will cause unsightly bumps seen on the front of the membrane and may cause portions of the circuit to be constantly closed)
- Electrical Pre-test of the unit on a hard flat surface prior to assembly is suggested. Removal of product after assembly will destroy unit and void warranty.
- Remove a strip of release Liner (Approx. 3/4” wide) in the area of the tail. Be sure to remove separate liner under tail notch (if applicable).
- Pass the tail thru the slot in the panel and align the membrane switch properly to the panel. Press the exposed adhesive area down to the panel to set the alignment.
- Moderately bend back the membrane switch and remove the remaining liner.
- DO NOT bend the membrane switch near a DOME or LED area. Excessive bending may cause internal damage which can not be seen and premature failure of domes or intermittent LED’s.
- Final Lamination – Starting from the pre-set tail area, with the membrane slightly flexed, slowly apply it to the panel smoothing it out as to prevent any air from being trapped under the membrane switch. The adhesives are pressure sensitive and firm pressure is required to insure a strong bond. Please take note that dirt and air must not stay trapped under the membrane switch (it may cause the circuit to be constantly closed) We recommend flexing the unit no more than .25”of flex per 4” of unit length flex of the unit during assembly.